Friday, August 13, 2010

Contact Information



I'm not in Namibia yet, but some of you have been asking the best way to keep in contact and even send packages (I believe even bike pieces were promised). I should have regular email and internet access for the first three months while I train in Windhoek, but letters might be the best possible way to keep in touch.


Travis Miller, PCT
Peace Corps Office
P.O. BOX 6862
Ausspannplatz
Windhoek, Namibia


No special international stamps are required. Just two first class stamp will do. It's also recommended that you number your letters, in case the letters arrive in a different order in which they were sent. As far as packages here is some advice from past volunteers:

"The best method for sending a care package is by simply using the US postal service. I've found that packages sent in a big padded envelope get here much quicker than a box. Boxes take anywhere from 1 month to 5-6 months. It really varies on this one. I think as a rule of thumb, keep it small. My experience with packages has been diverse: 1 padded envelope sent from California got here in 10 days using regular ground mail. Another package sent from NYC using the more expensive way to send it, got here in exactly 1 week. Other packages took anywhere from 1 month to 2 months. If for some reason you need something shipped that is expensive or important, I know people have used DHL (there is a DHL office in Windhoek)"

Hope this answered all your questions. Let me know if there is anything I've missed and i'll try my best to find an answer. Looking forward to hearing from you guys, and always promise to write you back.

-Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment