Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm here!

So finally after one and a half months of prepping, 17+ hours on a plane, 3 hours of buses, relatively little sleep, I'm here in Namibia! I and 44 other Peace Corps Trainees (as we are called till we are sworn in) are members of Namibia Group 32, a group of mostly Education Volunteers, teaching English, Science, and Math like myself. The rest are involved in a new business development program working with Namibian entrepreneurs to start small businesses. Everyone has been super friendly and outgoing, which has been a helped in a big way to relax and alleviate homesickness. During the many layovers and down time after sessions, we quickly begun the bonding process over card games, movie nights, and even a few drinks. Already I feel like we have known each other for weeks, and know many friendships will be made during my service in Namibia.

For now it on to the orientation and program introduction portion of Peace Corps Training, so for the first week my group is staying at a compound which has a part rehab clinic and part summer camp feel to it. The rooming setup brings me back to my freshman days of college with two trainees to a room and tiny  beds. My roomie is Adam, another Education Trainee from Montana, quite good with the guitar and leader of the daily jam sessions. Totally cliché for the Peace Corps, I know.

During the first day of orientation it came up that other volunteers have referred to Namibia as PC Lite, and I am already beginning to see why. Widespread water and electricity, beautifully sunny days, relatively few diseases, and good beer is beginning to make me feel spoiled, but this is looking great for calling this country my home for the next couple of years.


Me looking over Namibia from Pride Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment